James E.C. PerryFlorida Supreme Court
A native of New Bern, North Carolina, James E. C. Perry was appointed as the 85th Justice to the Florida Supreme Court by Governor Charlie Crist and took office there on March 11, 2009. Before his appointment, he served as a Circuit judge of Florida's Eighteenth Judicial Circuit upon his appointment by Governor Jeb Bush in March 2000. Justice Perry later served as Chief Judge of the Circuit for a two-year term beginning July 2003.
He graduated from J. T. Barber High School. From there he attended Saint Augustine's University, graduating in 1966 with a Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration and Accounting. After serving Justice James E.C. Perryin the U.S. Army as a first lieutenant, he went on to Columbia Law School where he earned his Juris Doctorate degree in 1972.
Justice Perry met his future bride, Adrienne M. Perry, Ph.D., while at Columbia Law School. A scholar in her own right, Mrs. Perry earned her undergraduate degree from the State University of New York at Oswego. She then went on to receive a master’s degree from Columbia University and a doctorate in education from the University of Florida. Formerly the Mayor of Longwood, Florida, Dr. Perry retired as chairperson of the Department of Education at Stetson University. Married since 1971, they have three children, two attorneys and a businessman.
Justice Perry has been actively involved in many community activities. A dedicated father, Perry managed his son’s AAU basketball team, the SanLando Greyhounds and played an active role in all their sports activities. Justice Perry’s commitment to improving children’s lives extends beyond his own family. As founder and president of the Jackie Robinson Sports Association, Perry built a baseball league serving 650 at-risk boys and girls – the largest in the nation. However, the Association did more than coach baseball. Volunteers also served as mentors and provided free tutoring.
- Florida Supreme Court
- - Current
- Circuit judge
- Florida's Eighteenth Judicial Circuit
- Chief Judge 2003-2005
- Perry & Hicks, P.A.
- specialized in civil and business law
- Columbia Law School
- J.D. (1972) | Law
- St. Augustine's University
- B.A. (1966) | Business Administration and Accounting
- Award of Appreciation
- North Brevard County Branch NAACP
- Moot Court Competition Award
- Puerto Rican Bar Association
- Key to the City of Titusville Award
- City of Titusville
- President's Award
- Florida Memorial University
- Williams-Johnson Outstanding Jurist of the Year Award
- Brevard and Seminole County Bar Associations
- Humanitarian Award
- Seminole County NAACP Humanitarian Award
- Paul C. Perkins Award
- Orange County Chapter NAACP
- honorary Doctor of Law degree
- Stetson University College of Law